The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/gtgt-we-will-draw-a-36-annual-withdrawal-28992176.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Retirement AA going forward Date:  12/30/2010  3:50 PM
Author:  ziggy29 Number:  68030 of 76418

>> We will draw a 3.6% annual withdrawal rate over 40 years.

We would like to leave an inheritance equal to the (real, inflation-adjusted) starting value of this portfolio.
<<

I think either of these is easily doable as a stand-alone goal, but expecting to do both is a rather optimistic goal which I think has a strong chance of falling short. Go too conservative and you get killed by the withdrawal rate and future inflation; go too aggressive and you'd be slaughtered in another 2008-09 style meltdown.

I would encourage you to reassess these two goals and prioritize. If you are more concerned about leaving a sizable estate, could you reasonably live with a lower drawdown rate -- (say) 2.5% to 3% instead of 3.6%? If you need the entire 3.6% to attain an acceptable lifestyle, are you willing to leave a lesser estate? If neither are negotiable, how willing are you to supplement your income with part time work or some other way to make a few extra bucks?

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us