The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/greg-a-very-interesting-time-when-i-first-29014792.aspx

Subject:  Re: The 30 year portfolio performance Date:  1/9/2011  12:34 AM
Author:  DrTarr Number:  68170 of 75638

Greg,

A very interesting time. When I first started out this year, I had thought that the portfolio with 50% S&P / 50% bonds might have actually outperformed the 100% S&P. While this test the last two year was just over 6% for the equity portfolio the bonds having high interest rates in the first years was really starting to show. The numbers are "interestingly" close for the all equity compared to the 75/25. Pretty unique for the bond (especially 10 yr UST) portion to have held up so nicely and actually taken the lead in end value.

A SWR rate this high (>6%) has been about a 10% occurrence in the last hundred years (highly correlated in time with occurrences through the 79-82 bubble and a group back in the early 50's when that decade saw half a dozen market returns in the 20%-30%) Obviously this year the debt portfolio's stregth due to the extremely high interest rates. The equity portfiolo's strength attributted to the 90's bull market.

We have a five year trend up! Curious to see next year.

d(6%)/dT
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us