The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Higher Education Tax Help Inquiry Date:  1/9/2011  6:43 AM
Author:  joycets Number:  111905 of 127613

The Short answer:

If you are going to school part time (less than half) you can take the lifelong learning credit or tuition & fees deduction. Someone with a degree can't take the Hope or American opportunity (I think?) credits, nor a person taking only one class at a time.

Of all the stuff on that form this is all I needed to know. There is a lot of info about Loans and Coverdell savings plans and other things I'm uninvolved in. Okay, now to wait for the 1098 from the College.

joycets, appreciating the help.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us