The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Learning to Invest / Investment Tips & Experiences

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/lowhat-if-i-understand-your-question-to-me-and-29035600.aspx

Subject:  Re: Monitor Investment Performance Date:  1/17/2011  12:31 AM
Author:  jackcrow Number:  2519 of 2533

Lowhat,

If I understand your question to me and I'm not sure I do, for us the small DIY'r investor we are the manager and we are the investor. We input cash, buy assets that hopefully generate positive returns. We are running a business, it may be hobby in size and scope but it is a business. We have a balance sheet of assets and liabilities and equity. We have a statement of income and we have a reconciliation of cash flows. Most of the time we don't actually need all those fancy statements but in essence they exist.

There are some goofy numbers used in add campaigns that need to be watched. "Uber-wonderful-small-cap picker fund's manager has beat the Russell 2000 by over an average of 15% over the last 3 years". If total transaction costs and fees eat 5% then the investors average take home is 10%. The real warning is 'average ... over the last 3 years, all it would take in small cap space to do that is one good year as a stock picker and a couple below average years by the index.

jack
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us