The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/one-thing-you-might-want-to-think-about-will-you-29052883.aspx

Subject:  Re: Roth Question Date:  1/24/2011  1:51 PM
Author:  2gifts Number:  68314 of 75684

One thing you might want to think about, will you make enough to be in-eligible next year and years there after. If you're only able to make one or two years contributions, it might not be worth the hassle.

Although that might be true, you can't know until after the fact if you are not able to contribute except for a few years.

I fall into this bucket. In order for DH and I to qualify for a Roth IRA, I have to be unemployed. That's happened 3 times so far with last year being the most recent. I have taken advantage of this each time and have maxed our our Roth IRA contributions. That's 3 times more than I thought we would qualify for, but as I have no way to know ahead of time how many years I may be able to contribute, I'd rather take the chance that there will be more years and do the contribution to the Roth.

Given the OP's current status, I would bet that she will be able to contribute for a few years, so I would definitely be contributing this year and every year where I were eligible.

Something I do to help with this is that I do not make my Roth contribution until after I have done my taxes so that I know that we are, in fact, eligible to make the contribution. That's easier than making it earlier in the year because I assume that will be eligible, and then finding out that this is not true and having to recharacterize contributions or pull them out.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us