The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/so-if-people-wouldnt-mind-giving-me-their-29075151.aspx

Subject:  Re: Hello all! (index question) Date:  2/2/2011  1:19 PM
Author:  CABob Number:  68369 of 75781

So, if people wouldn't mind giving me their thoughts on the above (foreign percentage and necessity of REITs), I would appreciate it.

Even better, give me suggestions for the whole portfolio, if you have the time! :-)

large
mid
small
foreign
(REITs?)

I can tell you what I do which is not necessarily a recommendation of what you should do.
I have what I believe to be a simple portfolio using broad based index funds with a "tilt". What this means is that the major portions of the equity portfolio are a total stock market fund and a total international fund. The international is about 17% of equity. To this I have added REIT and small cap value funds at about 13% of equity each. This is to add the diversity of a low correlation asset (REIT) and to try to take advantage of the SCV premium.
I have been giving some consideration to simplifying even more by dropping the REIT and SCV. Reasons? The total stock market fund already has a market weight of REIT. One can never be sure there will be a SCV premium during my investing life span.

Bob
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us