The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Tax Quandry Date:  2/8/2011  9:10 PM
Author:  JAFO31 Number:  112167 of 127613


Phil: <<<Only if you continue to assume the bank's psychic will figure things out without assistance from you. Someone needs to stop by the bank with a certified copy of the death certificate and get the number changed. I'd suggest just sending them a new W-9, but with a bank I think it's always a good idea to have a human involved at the start.>>>

"I discussed at length with my Dad's personal banker (small town). I was told that Dad would get the 1099 because he is still listed as the primary owner of the CD."

Take Phil's advice. Even in a small town, and dealing with a personal banker (who actually knew your father), I seriously doubt that the bank will retitle the CD without the legal requirements being satisfied.

"Doesn't make much sense to me but they would not be deterred."

Probably because they have not received the death certificate and a formal request (in writing) to retitle.

"Seems more appropriate that each of the joiners would have to declare a prorata portion of the interest earnings."

Some estates stay open for significant periods after the death of the deceased.

Regards, JAFO
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us