The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/more-recently-a-relative-was-contacted-by-the-irs-29109774.aspx

Subject:  Re: Compliments to IRS Date:  2/16/2011  5:09 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  112302 of 121114

More recently a relative was contacted by the IRS regarding joint returns she filed with her late husband. Since all issues were with his income, the IRS representative closed the file. No further action will be taken by the IRS.

While this was certainly a nice outcome for your relative, it made me scream. I was reminded of the case I ran across during my Southern California sentence in which a sizeable amount was being written off because "taxpayer is deceased and all assets have been distributed." Everything needed to transfer the liability to the people who got the assets was there except the cover sheet. Sent it back to the manager. She returned it with a note, "You don't understand--he's dead." Took it to her boss, who just stared blankly. Finally gave it to one of my reviewers to slap a cover sheet on it and send it for assessment.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us