The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Birds of a Feather / Expat Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/was-dragged-kicking-and-screaming-parents-dad-29112054.aspx

Subject:  Re: Americans living abroad? Date:  2/17/2011  2:37 PM
Author:  wclark1238 Number:  655 of 667

Was dragged kicking and screaming! Parents (dad American, mom English) decided to move to England, I was 11 and did not get to vote on this decision.

Am content and settled here now (almost 40 years later).

Miss baseball mostly :-). Thank goodness for the internet!

I've had my chance to undo what happened. I enlisted and served for 7 years in the USAF but chose to stay in the UK upon separation.

I was that kid! The mental scars will last a lifetime ;-) I quickly chose to conform with the norm at school so I changed from all-American boy to just another kid within 6 weeks of commencing school in England. All the other guys just wanted to poke and prod the 'weird' kid with the funny accent. Was too young for it to have worked as a plus point for me .......... with the girls. Shame! My parents slotted in well in English life - mom came back to family so there was an existing network of contacts to slot into. Dad quickly found work on the economy and has never looked back.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us