The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-take-it-going-to-the-auditors-superior-is-not-29112948.aspx

Subject:  Re: Compliments to IRS Date:  2/17/2011  7:42 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  112336 of 121481

I take it going to the auditor's superior is not an option? What about filing a complaint with the IG's office? This would seem to fall under the heading of "waste", if not "fraud" for the auditor holding him-/herself out as qualified.

It's not worth my time or effort. All I want is to get the proper expenses allowed for my client.

What has really happened is a shift in staffing at the IRS. I think something like 70% of all tax returns are now filed electronically. That has caused a significant drop in the number of tax return processors the IRS needs. Instead of laying all of those people off, management at the IRS waved their magic wand and said "Presto chango. You are all now correspondence auditors. Here's a couple days of training. Now go forth and audit."

In this particular case, I don't even have a name to talk to. I'm just writing to "Tax Examiner."

--Peter <== still fuming a bit
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us