The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/what-has-really-happened-is-a-shift-in-staffing-29113417.aspx

Subject:  Re: Compliments to IRS Date:  2/18/2011  12:18 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  112341 of 121572

What has really happened is a shift in staffing at the IRS. I think something like 70% of all tax returns are now filed electronically. That has caused a significant drop in the number of tax return processors the IRS needs. Instead of laying all of those people off, management at the IRS waved their magic wand and said "Presto chango. You are all now correspondence auditors. Here's a couple days of training. Now go forth and audit."

I suspect you're on to something. Travel with me to a time before IRS Service Centers, when all the work was done in the district office. Taxpayers filed there, returns were processed there, all the accounting was done there on Unit Ledger Cards.

With the advent of computerized accounting in the 60's came the Service Centers. And those bookkeeping machine operators? Office Collection Interviewers. Lots of them were still around when I started in 1971. In fact, before we ever went to classroom training we were sent to observe them at work. Behind their backs they were known as the Iron Maidens, and were they ever fierce.

I'm a pussycat in comparison.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us