The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/-i-am-over-80-and-have-had-a-roth-since-they-29118875.aspx

Subject:  Re: Roth IRA - ETF or Stocks? Date:  2/20/2011  4:20 PM
Author:  Watty56 Number:  68506 of 76384

... I am over 80 and have had a ROTH since they started in 1998. My ROTH has gone up and down. I wish I had the advise that is available to you on this site....

I was here in 1998 and back then there were recommending portfolios like the "Dogs of the Dow" and the "Foolish Four". These worked well until they didn't and they then went on to try dozens of other portfolios and newsletters, most of which have disappeared.

Be careful about thinking that anyone would sell the secrete to beating the market as a newsletter when they could become a billionaire by using this information to buy and sell stocks themselves.

Go to a used book store or a library and find an old Motley Fool book from back then read about how the "Fool" got its name. Ironically, it was basically that all the "smart" people who wrote news letters and managed mutual funds couldn't beat regularly beat an index fund so it is better to be a "Fool" than "Smart".

The last two years have been wonderful in the stock market since it bottomed out and it has been easy to lots of people to look good in a market where even the S&P 500 has just about doubled.

Greg
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us