The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Canadian Investing / Canada - RRSP Strat / Taxation


Subject:  Re: Help - A Canuck living in the US Date:  2/21/2011  10:26 AM
Author:  SnowdriftFool2 Number:  1180 of 1193

You write: "Could you buy US Securities in your RSP? like SPY? "

Dear airahcaz,

As of the 2005 Federal Budget there have been no restrictions on foreign investments inside Registered accounts in Canada. US securities are thus eligible, as would be SPY. But check with your broker how they will be held and paid for. Some brokerages make lots of money by buying/selling for you on the currency spreads (i.e., you pay US funds for the stock but the account is debited in C$ at some rate taht is disadvantageous to you). Generally, you want to try to "was trades" so that they don't end up setting you back from a mid-market exchange rate.

There is more information on the web but here is a nice explanation, and also check with your broker.

Also ask your broker about any paperwork to make the US holdings exempt of the holding tax (this applies to RRSPs if you are a Canadian Resident ... it wasn't clear from your post if you are Canadian or US resident for tax purposes). Without the paperwork in place you risk having the US withholding tax applied.

Good luck,
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us