The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/let-me-offer-a-slightly-different-twist-on-your-29120342.aspx

Subject:  Re: Loaded Funds, IRA Date:  2/21/2011  1:27 PM
Author:  BruceCM Number:  68525 of 75893

Let me offer a slightly different twist on your situation.

First, I agree that ML, based on their past track record, is one of the last places I would have deposited ANY of my money. Do a Google search on Merrill Lynch + SEC + Fines. I think ML holds the recond on the most frequent and highest fines and penalties from both the SEC and FINRA. Note: if you do the same but use 'Vanguard', you should find 0 (thats ZERO fines and penalties)

But to your situation...

You mention that you have little time...how much interest do you have? Those who have little to no interest in asset allocation and rebalancing, should probably seek the advice of someone who will provide the advice and execute the MF investments, rebalance at specific points and have the discipline to stay invested. Contributions, asset allocation and discipline are the difference between those who retire comfortably and those who do not.

Now, a 12th grader has enough smarts to do this...thats not the question. The question is do you have the interest to do it and stick with it.

The next question is do you plan on staying with this new employer's 401(k)? If it has a match, you should probably contribute to that level only, and direct the remainder of your retirement savings to your Roth IRA.

One final note. Beginning July of this year, qualified retirement plan service providers must report ALL expenses to the employer, who must then, beginning Nov 1, include ALL such expense information that is paid by the plan or by the employee, to each employee. Because most plans are on a calendar year basis, the first full reporting of expenses to the employees will not begin until Jan 2012. Just a guess, but I think there will be many angry employees when they found out how much it is really costing them....

BruceM
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us