The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Simple question about 401k-to-IRA conversion Date:  2/24/2011  3:13 AM
Author:  ptheland Number:  68537 of 88775

If I were to instead roll this money over to a ROTH IRA, and pay taxes on the money, is that money considered a ROTH "contribution" and therefore available to me to withdrawal without penalty? Or am I basically completely unable to draw on these funds without penalty?

It's not a contribution. It's a conversion. You have to wait 5 years after the conversion before you can withdraw that amount and not pay a penalty.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us