The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/rich-and-phil-thank-you-for-your-kind-replies-29127641.aspx

Subject:  Re: 2010 excess contribution to a Roth Date:  2/24/2011  9:13 AM
Author:  rc2seth Number:  112441 of 121095

Rich and Phil, Thank you for your kind replies. Very helpful. I have tracked down the problem. For others who use TurboTax, be very careful in how you answer its questions in its EasyGuides. When entering IRA info there are tremendous differences in meaning between transfers, rollovers, recharacterize, conversion. If you ever make a mistake in answering a question, even if you go back and correct your answer, TurboTax relentlessly applies your first answer and confusion abounds. My only recourse was to zero out the entire return and start over. Now it works just fine. Make sure you (talking to myself here!) know exactly what you are answering. If you correct an answer but TurboTax becomes nonsensical, you may have to start over. Thanks again Rich and Phil! Note: it looks like other TurboTax users were having similar problems with their IRA entries. Confusing EasyGuide screens.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us