The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/what-exactly-is-this-board-about-pretty-much-29143623.aspx

Subject:  Re: I'm Confused... Date:  3/2/2011  5:36 PM
Author:  salaryguru Number:  30679 of 63328

What exactly is this board about?

Pretty much anything someone want to talk about. Retirement planning, tax issues, investment strategies are all allowed if you want to bring up a topic. Actually, there is quite a bit of expertise and experience among the posters. It's just that we've talked about all of that stuff so we only wander back to those topics if someone reads an interesting article or a law changes that impacts our strategies, or ...

Is it ever on-topic?

Sometimes. (see above)

Ideas for how to save money on taxes or invest tax-free?? Financial planners??

Sure. Introduce yourself. Tell us where you are in the process or ask a question or tell us something you think is important that we might not know.

Is any board at TMF ever on-topic???

I've visited and participated in a lot of retirement planning sites and investment sites over the years. It seems to me that after awhile, they all turn into social discourse sites. 8 or 10 or a dozen or so posters who agree on enough fundamental issues tend to become the primary posters. They establish the environment. Once they have all discussed investment strategies, tax strategies, mortgage strategies, health care strategies, etc. several times, the site tends to become a social thing. Then one day, Congress passes a new tax code or approves a new tax-deferred investment rule, or someone finds an article that explains a new study on asset allocation, or ... And then everyone digs into it and figures it out. Sometimes someone will do some analysis or develop a simulation and share the results. Then it's back to social discussions until the next time someone brings up retirement/financial issues.

This site certainly falls into that category except that we also share the space with a couple of right wing trolls. They are mostly a minor annoyance once you figure out what the situation is.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us