The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/for-5000-years-of-human-history-part-of-the-29145678.aspx

Subject:  Re: I'm Confused... Date:  3/3/2011  2:10 PM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  30739 of 60047

For 5,000 years of human history, part of the struggle has been to acquire the "stuff of life."
Now the struggle is ----
getting rid of it!

The downside of a nice-sized home...furnishing it! "Small is beautiful" is new the national mantra, right? Also "repurpose."

My BFF asked for a list of what I want to sell. She's moving into a much bigger house in the Cincinnati (I'm finanly learning how to spell that city-) burbs of KY...paying about what I'll be paying for a small apartment in NYC! If I decide to buy, that is. Anyway, they need a lot more furniture as they got rid of inherited stuff & other stuff they didn't like with this move. She's probably buying everything in my family room (a kind of room I'm most unlikely to have!). And maybe one of my living room sofas. And maybe my beachy guest room stuff (white glazed...pretty...sniff!).

If we're lucky enough to get a 2BR, I'll use the office furniture and my new "city futon" (arrives Saturday) as my guest room. It looks like waiting room seating rather than a usual futon. If I go to the moderate-incomce housing (built for Navy Yard workers in WWII), I might be able to swing a 3BR, but then I'd probably want bunk beds for grandkids in the 3rd BR (too bad we sold the ones we used to have in my son's room! alas, I could not see the future).

My inherited stuff is my favorite. My parents got 40s-modern furniture when they got married. The 2 pieces that came to me remain prized possessions. My mother still has a matching end table that I helped my father tile & grout back when I was maybe 10 (my brothers had no interest in handyman stuff, but I did). Along with my husband's chippendale sofa that I reupholstered in 2000. And our comfy Ethan Allen recliners that don't appear to be recliners...in my favorite color, sunny yellow. And the Indian rug that ties the disparate colors & styles together.

=alstro, apparently still a material girl...but soon with much less material!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us