The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-was-looking-over-those-uc-pathway-funds-and-was-29185513.aspx

Subject:  Re: 403 v 457 Date:  3/21/2011  1:18 PM
Author:  MajorMajor78 Number:  68668 of 74759

I was looking over those UC Pathway funds and was pleasantly impressed. Very low expense ratios for a target date funds and good solid underlying fund investments. The only thing that raised my eyebrow was the line "Investments 1 YR 3 YR 5 YR 10 YR Life As of Date" which appeared just above the listing of the UC plan options. Is this implying an annuity? If so, are there seperate insurance fees on top of the low expense ratio listed? I was just a little confused by their choice of words. If there isn't any insurance issues attached I would have no problem recommending these funds to anybody who wants a simple fire and forget retirement investment option.

If you decide to take a DIY approach there are good options in the Fidelity listing that my wife actually uses in her 401K. Look at the Fidelity Spartan plans. Very low expenses (competitive with Vanguard). The SPTN TOT MKT IDX INV is a great total market index fund. SPTN LT TR IDX INV or SPTN INT TR IDX INV are great U.S government bond indexes that have low expenses. FID TOTAL BOND is another good bond choice that is a mix of government and corporate bonds for a respectable expense ratio.

Maybe you would want 50% SPTN TOT MKT IDX INV and another 50% of the bond fund(s) of your Choice? This would give your husband "his age in bonds" and would provide a solid no nonsense retirement portfolio. Adjust to be more or less agressive as you see fit of course but this would be a great foundation to start your planning around.

Hope this helps,

Scott
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us