The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/based-on-my-personal-experience-id-disagree-29186700.aspx

Subject:  Re: 403 v 457 Date:  3/21/2011  10:24 PM
Author:  Rayvt Number:  68679 of 75890

Based on my personal experience, I'd disagree. There is a very wide distribution of incomes (or expected incomes) in retirement. You need to look at the individual situation to make a recommendation about Roth vs. traditional IRA/401k.

--Peter <== talks to 300+ people per year about their personal finances

Well, sure, there would certainly be a lot of unique individual situations.

But I'm surprised at what you say. As far as I can tell, we are much better set than most of our (also retired) friends & neighbors, w/r/t taxable income. Which is one pension & 2 SS's, and one of our SS benefits is significantly higher than the average benefit (acorrding to the SSA).
We started all three early (before FRA), so the benefits are all reduced.

And absent the IRA-to-Roth rollovers, our income is well below the $68K that's the max for the 15% bracket.

We do have a mortgage (which most of our neighbors don't), so we get that small deduction, and we have a large cap-loss carryover, so we get that $3000/yr deduction. But still.....

Ahhhh, but maybe you are talking about non-joint filers?

For M.F.J.: 15% bracket tops off at $68K taxable income. With the standard deductions and all that's probably around $80,000+ total income. I have a hard time believing that lots of retirees have that much AGI income.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us