The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-a-new-member-and-retiring-in-about-18-months-29198330.aspx

Subject:  Re: Investment in Apple Date:  3/26/2011  11:20 PM
Author:  0x6a74 Number:  68720 of 75793

I'm a new member and retiring in about 18 months. I have a substantial 403b Account and additional investments of about $400k...Does it make sense to invest about $10k in Apple...

I am a huge fan of Apple, both the company and the products. If you study the numbers, they have excellent cash flow and earnings, and an unbelievable amount of cash on hand. I respectfully disagree with Fuskie and would be (and have been) a buyer of Apple here (adding to my now full position). I say that knowing that you are retiring in 18 months. My reasoning is that you have a substantial 403b as well as 400,000 in other investments. That means a 10,000 investment is pretty much chump change in relation to the size of your portfolio, and even if Apple took a major dive (say, when Jobs dies), it will recover. I also believe the passing of Jobs is pretty much baked into the stock at this point, though it might temporarily head south when that happens. I know the same thing will happen with my Berkshire shares when Buffett dies, but I also know the company is sound and will bounce back.

FWIW ...i agree (have many shares AAPL and Holding, retired 7yrs now)

but -- i read OP as having total 400k, so 10k might be high to start with.

and be prepared to deal with much volatility
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us