The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-sold-all-my-old-silver-coins-on-ebay-in-2-face-29199240.aspx

Subject:  Re: Coin Silver Date:  3/27/2011  4:56 PM
Author:  MarinBMWZ4 Number:  68733 of 76080

I sold all my old silver coins on eBay in $2 face value rolls. If I recall I ended up getting about $0.20 each coin. Most, if not all, had been collected over the years from change. I did pull out the "steelies" (war time) nickles and sold them separately.

I did the same for my wheat pennies. Got around a nickle apiece.

First thing I did tho' was follow some sales on eBay to see if it was worthwhile and what they were selling for. Then I selected out any fine quality and researched their prices.

I also sold for silver value foreign coins I had been collecting. I simply found out the silver content (including US coins), determined the current spot price and then sold them at that rate. Early Swiss coins have a fair amount of silver and are generally good quality. Unless they had any sentimental value of specific collector interest I simply went for spot value.

I decided to do this after I realized I had $100's of dollars in face value that I really didn't need.

MZ4
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us