The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/silver-coins-have-been-stripped-from-circulation-29201269.aspx

Subject:  Re: Coin Silver Date:  3/28/2011  4:17 PM
Author:  foolazis Number:  68751 of 75336

Silver coins have been stripped from circulation for the last 45 years. I find maybe 1 silver dime per year, and it has been 20 years since I have found any silver quarters. You can always try, but you may have to be willing to search through thousands of rolls, so I doubt it would be worth the time and effort involved. Many of the silver coins disappered in the early 80s when the Hunts tried to corner the silver market.

90% silver coins have not been made since 1964. 40% silver half dollars were made until 1967. Any coins after that have no silver in them at all.

For your information, the current price of silver translates to about 30 times face value, so expect to be able to sell them for 20 to 25 times face value, so a silver dime would be worth about $2.00, and a quarter worth about $6 dollars. Remember that you would not be able to sell them at the spot price for silver.

foolazis
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us