The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-left-the-uk-for-canada-some-10-years-ago-29212126.aspx

Subject:  Re: What to do? Date:  4/1/2011  7:13 PM
Author:  aj485 Number:  1386 of 1483

I left the UK for Canada some 10 years ago, leaving a SIPP to be managed by a well respected private company in London.

After 10 full years the return on my investment is less than 8%. I'm stunned and wondering if I have any legal recourse on what is clearly an under performance on a drastic scale.

I don't know what you were invested in, but on April 2, 2001 (10 years ago), the S&P index closed at 1,224.38 Today, it closed at 1,332.41 That's an 8.82% return over the same 10 years. You should check the values for general stock market indices of whatever countries you were invested in to see if there is a similar comparison.

If they charged fees, they probably actually outperformed the market, but you probably paid them more than the premium over the market that they made.

I have lodged a formal complaint with them but I get the feeling that this is very much "asking the chef to comment on the food"

Can anyone offer some helpful advice?

Invest the money yourself instead of trusting/paying someone else to do so. If you do pay someone to invest your money for you, check it more often than every 10 years.

AJ
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us