The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  State taxes on income earned in another state Date:  4/4/2011  7:27 PM
Author:  inparadise Number:  112967 of 127617

If I have an investment property in a state other than where I reside, how does that work when it comes to paying state taxes? Live in PA, looking to buy in VA. Would income earned in VA be taxed by the state of VA, but not PA, or would there be double taxation?

Last time I did this, our where we lived didn't have a local tax, so I only paid Federal and the tax in the state the rental was in.


cross posted to real estate investing
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us