The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: State taxes on income earned in another stat Date:  4/4/2011  8:13 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  112969 of 127528

Typically, your home state taxes all of your income and then gives you a credit for taxes paid to the other state. That credit is normally the smaller of the actual taxes paid, or the home state's tax on the double taxed income.

So effectively you pay the higher of the two state's taxes on that out of state income.

However, some state pairs work the other way around. The non-resident state gives you a credit for taxes paid to your home state. These are definitely in the minority, but there are some out there.

A fairly time effective way to figure it out is to get the instructions for non-resident VA returns and see what they have to say. Also take a look at your PA instructions, keeping an eye out for a credit for taxes paid to other states.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us