The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/but-when-i-travel-i-have-a-tendency-to-stray-29218049.aspx

Subject:  Re: Civil War Date:  4/5/2011  2:42 AM
Author:  0x6a74 Number:  32136 of 63072

But when I travel, I have a tendency to stray from the university campuses and corporate offices that pay me to come and visit. I almost always tack on several days of time to my visits to explore and experience the culture on my own. You really don't have to get very far away from the tall buildings and freeways to experience a very different culture from downtown Atlanta or Raleigh or New Orleans or Tampa or ...

ah yes......

(when i drove x-country in 2000, i took a few backroads ..didn't often stop, but one in Miss. stuck in my mind: beautiful green country .. every couple hundred yards --a trailer, one or three pickups, all with Confederate flags

)

The only place I've ever visited where this observation does not seem to hold would be Easter Island. There is only one village there with about 800 people living there. It seemed like a pretty homogeneous culture as far as I could tell from a two week visit.

probably lots easier to be homogeneous when it's just 800 people stuck on an island ...
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us