The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Where to Rollover? Date:  4/13/2011  11:44 AM
Author:  NarnCeredir Number:  68889 of 88437

Hi AJ,

It's a tough call on the +/- 5% return. I just don't know.

I obviously don't want to shoulder the tax burden of converting the 403 (b) to my Roth -- that doesn't make a lot of sense, so that option looks to be out of the picture.

As for my student loan repayment, it is the Income-Based Repayment plan (IBR) and not the Income-Contingent Repayment(ICR). They're slightly different, and the former allows the borrower to only include his or her income if filing married filing separately returns. If we combined our incomes, the monthly payment would be very large and would hinder our other financial goals. And to be perfectly honest, I do not plan on repaying my loans completely. IBR loans are forgiven after 25 years or, most important for many borrowers, after 10 years based on the Public Service Forgiveness program. I'm not trying to game the system, really, but am trying to figure out what makes the most financial sense and what to do with my retirement money from my current position.

-Narn Ceredir
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us