The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Aging Optimistically

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/rv-congrats-on-completing-your-taxes-actually-i-29236302.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: What do people do in retirement? Date:  4/13/2011  2:56 PM
Author:  Donna405 Number:  37 of 74

RV, congrats on completing your taxes. Actually, I am 66-1/2, will be 67 in November. I started looking to the day I start RMD's when I turned 65, knowing that I needed to take action. I would much rather pay the taxes now than when medical bills skyrocket, less reimbursement to the providers by Medicare, and the cost of living increases. I don't need to have to worry about paying taxes when I turn 70-1/2. In addition, I am quite happy overall with the stocks I hold, the majority of which are good dividend payers. So, I don't want to sell the stocks for the RMD's. So.....the solution was to convert just the stocks to the Roth and continue plowing cash into the SEP, reinvesting the dividends in the ROTH for more stock.

I'm hoping I will not have to sell any stocks in my 70's, as I plan to continue working parttime. Fortunately, being a real estate legal assistant, my knowledge, experience and skills are highly marketable, even at my age.

I'll be filing my 2010 taxes, probably, in September, as I am awaiting my K-1 from the SubS Corp., and my accountant normally does not file the corporate tax return until around August or September. Every year, I dread doing my taxes, because of the complexity. Oh, well, at least we both have income. There are those who are not so lucky, and having to living on their SS, which could be pretty low.

Gosh, you make me "homesick" to get back up to New England. It's a shame more people don't realize how beautiful it is up there. They think only of Boston (which I love) and New York when thinking of the norther tier of the US. Everyone in this country should tour the entirety of our country before heading overseas. What a beautiful, great country we have, with the most wonderful people inhabiting it.

Donna (who counts her blessings every day)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us