The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: SEP catch-up? Date:  4/13/2011  5:31 PM
Author:  BruceCM Number:  68896 of 87987

This article is in error. A SEP contribution made by a self employed individual is considered to come from the 'employer' side of the contribution. Catch-up contributions may only be made by employee salary deferrals, as would be the case in employee contributions to a 401(k), 403(b), 457(b) or SIMPLE IRA.

What this article may be thinking of are either:

1. catchup contributions to a SARSEP, which are allowable (under certain circumstances)....but no new SARSEPs have been created since 1997, with the few remaining today a result of being grandfathered, or

2. IRA contributions may be made to one's SEP IRA account, but these are limited to a maximum contribution of $5,000 plus a $1,000 catchup contribution if age 50 or older.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us