The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/sirtas-ltltlti-changed-the-primary-29239876.aspx

Subject:  Re: beneficiaries of IRA and 401(k) Date:  4/14/2011  10:28 PM
Author:  JAFO31 Number:  113126 of 121144

SirTas: <<<I changed the primary beneficiary to my two DDs (50% each). Of course, if I die tomorrow, they will inherit the money and will take care of their mother, but DW will be unable to waste our money in support of criminal enterprises overseas.

But does this have other consequences that I'm not taking into account?>>>

TMFPMarti: "The major difference is that your daughters will face Required Minimum Distributions (RMD's) starting the year after your death," [or be required to have the funds out of the IRA within five years after the eyar of yoru death] "while your spouse could treat the accounts as her own. Of course, given DW's history, it probably wouldn't preserve the funds longer."

You did not mention amounts, but generally speaking there is an unlimited spousal exemption, whereas assets going to others count toward lifetime exemption before estate tax might be due.

And as rad pointed out, DDs are not necessarily legally required to take care of your DW in the style to which she is accustomed.

Regards, JAFO
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us