The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ive-just-discovered-that-my-broker-listed-gld-on-29247436.aspx

Subject:  Re: Broker Error on 1099-B? Date:  4/19/2011  9:02 AM
Author:  TheTortoise Number:  113212 of 121431

I’ve just discovered that my broker listed GLD on my 2010 1099-B, specifically the 12 monthly amounts for the “Cost Basis Allocation Factor” totaling $21.43 ... which is then included in the total 1099-B gross proceeds. Since I haven’t owned GLD since 2009, this seems like an error ... or am I missing something?

I’ve emailed the broker ...

The first response I received to my email was utter nonsense, stating that I had made four GLD transactions in 2010.

I emailed back a strongly worded response pointing out that I had printed a report from their website showing that -- in the entire history of my account with them -- I had made only one GLD transaction ... which was when I sold the entire position on 12/30/2009.

I requested my case be turned over to a high level supervisor. The next day I received an email telling me they had corrected their error and I should be receiving an amended 1099 within three weeks.

We'll see ... I'm glad I got it in writing.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us