The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/charitable-donations-29248717.aspx

Subject:  Charitable Donations Date:  4/19/2011  4:55 PM
Author:  brucedoe Number:  113217 of 121219

This is not a question but a comment. I have gone to great lengths the last two years to keep track of our charitable contributions that totaled about $6,500 in 2010 and $7,500 in 2011. I consider this to be a lot of donations and is more than 10% of our taxable income, but TurboTax says we should take the standard deduction of $13,600 ($11,400 + $2,200 because we are old) that larger, even totaling the real estate taxes, charitable contributions, medical expense (just paying Medicare-B and backup insurance comes to more the 7.5% of our AGI). So we don't file a Schedule A at all.

Why do I keep gathering all the items for Schedule A. I don't know whether to laugh or cry because doing all the accounting for Schedule A takes a lot of time as we are not talking about just two or three donations, for example. Actually three donations account for about 50% of our donations, but the others are an almost endless string of donations at $25, $50 or $100 a pop. I guess I like to know the total of our donations, but it is a lot of work to do so and has nothing to do with our taxes it turns out. And at that, I don't keep track of mileage for volunteer work and donations of clothing or other items and they certainly don't total thousands of dollars.

brucedoe
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us