The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/actually-three-donations-account-for-about-50-of-29248866.aspx

Subject:  Re: Charitable Donations Date:  4/19/2011  5:57 PM
Author:  JeanDavid Number:  113219 of 121572

Actually three donations account for about 50% of our donations, but the others are an almost endless string of donations at $25, $50 or $100 a pop. I guess I like to know the total of our donations, but it is a lot of work to do so and has nothing to do with our taxes it turns out.

My dad did that too. He gave $25 to a very large number of charities. I decided to do the opposite: a favor to both myself and the charities.

If you give money, however little, to a charity they will, on the average, send you a letter a month asking for more. And some operate telephone banks that call you every month or so for more money. If you give them $25/year, it will all be wasted on letters and telephone calls. So I just give to 12 charities and only once a year each. When a charitable boiler room telemarkets me, I ask them which of my 12 existing charities I should cut off in order to have some for them. That usually ends the conversation. If my contribution levels were identical, I would give 8% of my annual charitable contributions to each, but I have some favorites and they get more, and therefore, some get less. But if I do not like a chaity at least $250/year worth, they get none.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us