The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Charitable Donations Date:  4/19/2011  8:37 PM
Author:  JAFO31 Number:  113225 of 127637

vkg: "Along with with alternating years for charitible deductions, you might have the option of timing of part of your property tax. Alternating paying 1 1/2 one year and 1/2 the next year."

If you are in Texsa, you can time it to be 2x and 0.

Tax bills generally arrive in October and you have until 1/31/ of the following year to pay without being delinquent. The bill becomes delinquent if February 1 arrives without payment having been received.

Thus one year you pay in January (for the prior year) before delinquency and then you pay in December of the same year for the current year.

The following year make no tax payments; make it in January of the following year for the year just ended. Then for the next year make it in December to double up.

Regards, JAFO
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us