The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Retirement Financial Advisor Date:  4/20/2011  9:18 PM
Author:  BruceCM Number:  68927 of 78166

As you begin your search, keep in mind the following:

- who ever's services you retain, you ( or in this case, your relative) are going to pay something. If, following your initial meeting, you are unclear on the total cost and exactly what services will be provided, then you probably should shop elsewhere.

- Credentials are important, as they do demonstrate a willingness on the part of the advisor to put in the time and work to at least learn the basics of finance. The most common credentials are the CPA and CFP, with the CFA designation for investments (although the latter might be a bit of overkill for your relative). And this advisor should be registered as an investment advisor (R