The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/it-can-rain-every-weekend-my-sister-has-29326399.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement Locations Date:  5/28/2011  1:39 PM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  17172 of 19257

It can rain every weekend....
My sister has summer home on Lake George...
SOme years it is cool and wet...

I know many people prefer the familiarity of going to the same home on vacation, and others prefer the anonymity/convenience of hotels/motels, but the advantage of an RV is that, like a vacation home, you have a certain familiarity and all the stuff you want with you, yet you can go where the weather pleases you at the time. Unlike hotels/motels, there's never any disappointment (or asthma attacks due to cleaning/air freshening products-).

We camped by Lake Champlain last summer (hard by the Adirondacks for those who don't know their upstate NY geography) and enjoyed glorious weather--warm sun, cool breeze. Nice state campground, too. Due to commitments, we needed to leave before really seeing the Adirondack area, so we look forward to doing that on another trip. Also look forward to checking out the Vermont side of Lake Champlain. (Howard Dean country, land of the first universal health care and one of the first in marriage equality...I'd like to leave some tourist dollars in capable Vermont hands :-)

The advantage of retirement over working is that you can go whenever and wherever you like and stay as long as you like (presuming you can afford it, of course). While the hubster teaches, we're limited to his school breaks, although that's nearly a month in winter and nearly 3 in summer so I don't complain (much).
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us