The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/july-and-august-are-horrible-in-nyc-its-pretty-29326750.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement Locations Date:  5/28/2011  6:10 PM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  17179 of 19483

July and August are horrible in NYC

It's pretty toasty today, too. But this morning we walked 2/3 mile RT to the farmer's market. And we just got back from 2.5 miles mostly through Central Park to exchange the size of an outfit for my grandson (hubby wanted to take the bus back, so we did, but I was game for the return walk--got my city legs now!). It's not so humid this afternoon, which helps, but late this morning, laden with a big bag o' produce, I was dripping with sweat.

Speaking of A/C...we didn't have it when I grew up in the NYC burbs in the 50/60s till older bro's allergies convinced the folks to spring for an A/C in my brothers' shared bedroom. A couple years later, my parents got one for themselves. My room was never air conditioned until they got central A/C as part of a remodel many years later, long after I left home. To keep cool in summer, I slept on the asphalt tile floor, directly on the concrete slab. That's also how I kept warm in winter--we had radiant heat.

=cinderella ;-)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us