The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/it-sounds-like-a-wonderful-place-i-love-the-29329826.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement Locations Date:  5/31/2011  1:22 AM
Author:  MichaelRead Number:  17196 of 19224

It sounds like a wonderful place. I love the ocean too, grew up going to Jones Beach on Long Island practically every weekend. When I was raising my own family, we rented a friend's sloop for a week's sailing trip every summer (out of Narragansett Bay). We still love visiting small seaside towns, soaking in the ambiance, enjoying the local seafood, poking into any maritime-related museums/visitors centers, walking along the docks and inspecting the boats and listening to the gulls. OK, now I need to plan a seaside jaunt in NYC next weekend!

Astroemeria

White Rock’s main drag is Marine Drive and from East Beach to West Beach it’s wall-to-wall dining. Sure, a few shops selling clothing but mostly restaurants ranging from tablecloths in West Beach to fish-n-chips in newspaper in East Beach.

Way back when White Rock was a small seaside town where families would spend the summer in cottages and there would be a Friday night Daddy Train bringing home husbands working in Vancouver. These cottages were pulled down and more substantial homes built as more retirees moved in. Then these got pulled down and three-storey mega homes were erected.

Elly and I have lived here for the past 20 years and have seen property values skyrocket. Land is scarce: we paid $350,000 back then and now the house is about a mil and it’s all because of the land value. View property being the most expensive.

But history aside I do spend warm summer days sitting on the balcony enjoying the view while sipping on a cold beer and realizing there’s truth in ‘If I had known how happy I was to be I would never have allowed myself to be unhappy’.

MichaelR
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us