The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Preferred Stocks

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/so-i-ran-a-screen-on-quantum-online-just-before-29359003.aspx

Subject:  Re: Anyone home? Date:  6/14/2011  11:49 AM
Author:  BenSC Number:  37 of 50

So I ran a screen on Quantum Online just before making the initial post on this thread.

Initial criteria:
- Min coupon rate = 7%
- Preferred Stocks and Trust Preferreds only
- All Company Securities
- Only US securities
- NYSE/AMEX/Nasdaq securities only
- Securities with cumulative dividends

This returned 198 income securities.

Me, with the slight touch of OCD that I possess, decided to create my own spreadsheet of these securities. I took the initial results from Quantum and further screened these securities for companies that paid a regular dividend of at least 2% (why 2%? well, had to pick a number and that seems to me to be a decent cushion though I know one cannot count on REITs to pay at a consistent rate). I also stripped out any securities that are called or partially called or have anything "funky" going on with them. This has given me a list of 96 securities to continue refining. My next steps are to input in the current price, S&P rating, M* evaluations, and price variance for the security. I'm not quite halfway through that task. Once I get done with that spreadsheet I'll go from there.

-Ben
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us