The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Should I Convert? Date:  6/20/2011  6:03 AM
Author:  trepanne Number:  113548 of 127549


i'd just like to point out that nothing forces you to exclude 100% of your foreign earned income. when i was in a situation similar to yours, i used to exclude all but a few thousand dollars of my income, in order to have enough income to be eligible for roth contributions.

i still didn't owe any US taxes, but i filed my tax returns anyway, just to be sure i had a paper trail demonstrating the legitimacy of the tax position i was taking... but i'm not sure i even needed to file those returns if i didn't want to.

so, with all due respect to pmarti, it's not clear to me that you have made any excess contributions at all. can't you just take the same tax position that i did? what would be the problem with that?

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us