The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Should I Convert? Date:  6/21/2011  6:17 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  113555 of 127753

I was rummaging around on misc.taxes.moderated to see if I could find one of the discussions I recall and was reminded of something else that might work in your situation. If you are paying Korean tax on your earnings you could take the foreign tax credit rather than electing the foreign earned income exclusion. This would leave your wages available as "taxable compensation" for IRA purposes. You'd have to run the numbers to see if it would be worthwhile.

Lots of information in Pub 54.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us