The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/edyboom223-writes-heres-my-situation-i-am-27-29373266.aspx

Subject:  Re: Should I Convert? Date:  6/21/2011  5:55 PM
Author:  Bob78164 Number:  113558 of 121333

edyboom223 writes:

Here's my situation:

I am 27.

I have a Traditional IRA with about $3,000.

I have a Roth IRA with about $42,000.

I have read that it's good to have tax diversification, and this makes me think it's safe to have 2 accounts. However, I believe the Roth is superior to the Traditional IRA, so I feel that I should convert. What do you think? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I reply:

I'd convert. Here's why.

I'm assuming that current law will remain more or less the same. If so, there will probably come a day when your income means you can no longer make contributions to a Roth IRA. But you'll always be able to make contributions to a traditional IRA and then convert them to a Roth. If the traditional IRA is empty at the time you begin this process, the next tax effect is essentially the same as contributing to a Roth.

But if there's more money in the traditional IRA than your basis there, that won't necessarily be the case. That's particularly true if you are covered by a retirement plan at work -- then you'll have a basis in the traditional IRA because your contributions won't be deductible (once your income is sufficiently high). --Bob
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us