The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Splittling deductions on separate returns Date:  6/22/2011  9:16 AM
Author:  billjam Number:  113562 of 127753

I'm asking this for a friend who's husband seems to have gotten her into a mess with IRS. She has received notice that she owes $2100 due to a problem with mortgage interest deduction. She filed married filing separately but used the numbers he gave her. She assumes he split the mortgage interest between the two of them. He makes the mortgage payments but the house title and mortgage are joint.

I've advised her to consult a CPA before responding to IRS or making any payment. I know I haven't been able to provide much info but wonder if you see anything wrong based on the little info I have. My friend is terribly upset because she always keeps her financial affairs in good order. It took me a while to convince her not to just send the IRS what they asked for just to get them off her back.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us