The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Splittling deductions on separate returns Date:  6/22/2011  10:19 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  113565 of 127540

I'm asking this for a friend who's husband seems to have gotten her into a mess with IRS. She has received notice that she owes $2100 due to a problem with mortgage interest deduction. She filed married filing separately but used the numbers he gave her. She assumes he split the mortgage interest between the two of them. He makes the mortgage payments but the house title and mortgage are joint.

What year are we dealing with? Was her Schedule A correctly prepared? This could be as simple as putting the number on the wrong line or failing to provide the required information about the 1098.

If she can get a grip on herself, tell her to call the number on the notice and ask for more information about what's wrong. If she can't get said grip, tell her to write.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us