The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Value Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/emh-29390758.aspx

Subject:  EMH Date:  7/1/2011  9:49 AM
Author:  RayneMaker Number:  3772 of 3794

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about investing and understanding accounting, instruments, markets, etc. so i am reading as much as I can. I'm really looking for a textbook with lots of examples and practice, but the textbooks I find place a lot of emphasis on the efficient market hypothesis. I am a fan and reader of Buffett and Graham and value investing so I don't really want to use the tools and principles taught in modern portfolio theory.

So the question I pose to value investors out there is: do you use any modern portfolio theory in your investing process? I'm really interested in getting the perspective of a value investor who got an MBA from a well known program because I read that MPT is given a lot of emphasis. I assume investors like Bill Ackman who got their MBA's from Harvard Business School would have received lots of exposure to MPT, yet he doesn't believe in it so far as I have read.

Another question: are there any textbooks that don't place emphasis on MPT and have a value orientation?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply

-Ryan
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us