The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/we-pay-someone-to-manage-a-portion-of-our-assets-29402810.aspx

Subject:  Re: Professional management Date:  7/8/2011  12:48 PM
Author:  2gifts Number:  69230 of 76418

We pay someone to manage a portion of our assets. We had a couple of reasons for doing this.

- Since I manage all the finances, I wanted to be sure that DH would be covered if something happens to me, so I wanted someone on board so that I could do the test drive and make sure that he would have someone that would be suitable.
- As the numbers have gotten larger and we have gotten closer to retirement, I didn't want to mess up, so I wanted someone to help me.
- I'm getting tired of doing this, and I don't want to have to keep doing it to this extent in retirement, so it's a break for me.

We test drove one guy a couple of years ago who we picked over the guy I'm using now. It didn't take me long to figure out that was a mistake, so I took the account back for a few years, and then finally gave our IRAs to this guy to manage. He's got about 1/3 of our investable assets, and it's all tax-deferred money so that there are no tax consequences now when he moves money around.

I have been very pleased with this services, and can see myself moving taxable money to him at some point as well.

He works for one of the major brokerages, but his office is separate and I like his hands-on approach. If you were closer, I would recommend you talk to him.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us