The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/like-another-poster-said-there-are-plenty-of-29404344.aspx

Subject:  Re: Professional management Date:  7/9/2011  11:13 AM
Author:  2gifts Number:  69244 of 75616

Like another poster said, there are plenty of "couch potato" type portfolios out there that only require rebalancing ETFs once a month/quarter/year. Its not that hard and definitely not worth paying someone to do for you.

There are lots of things that are not that hard that people choose to pay someone else to do for a variety of reasons.

I know lots of people who take their car in to a shop to have the oil changed, but in my house, DH does all of that. Some people choose to have a housekeeper. Some pay someone to mow their lawn. My DH has an entire winter business where people pay him to plow their driveway instead of them using a snowblower or shoveling.

I think it comes down to your own priorities and where you want to be spending our own time and resources. In the OP's case, I think she has decided that she'd rather spend her time elsewhere, and that is worth something to her so she is willing to pay for the services of someone else doing this chore.

It has nothing to do with how hard it is, and deciding the worth of the service is really up to her.

As always, YMMV, and I think we all sometimes forget that what works for us may not work for someone else. I think this is one of those times.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us