The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fool Community Help Desk / Improve the Fool

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-very-same-boards-users-who-complain-that-29411549.aspx

Subject:  Re: New Fool Phone App Date:  7/13/2011  11:40 AM
Author:  TMFBritcodeftw Number:  85681 of 88787

The very same boards users who complain that mobile does not include boards are often the same members possibly holding back progress because they don't want the desktop version of boards to change. The fact is, our boards software is ancient and we have built a lot of custom functionality on top that has been requested by you members over the years. The codebase is spaghetti. To get boards working on mobile we really would have to completely overhaul and replace the current boards software first - which would no doubt herald all manner of complaints from users who don't want anything to change. I'm not in a position to offer an official response on this, so it's only my personal opinion - but there is definitely a pervading sense that business leaders at the Fool don't see much advantage in making progress that would only bring in just as many new complaints, and zero revenue. Seems like somewhat of a catch-22. I would love to be on a team that sets up a completely new, modern messageboard for Fools, complete with all the features that modern boards users take for granted, as well as a slick mobile experience - but a lot of the features and functions you have all been using for decades would be lost - and then there would be countless more threads like this one continuing with the complaints. I honestly don't see a likely solution in the short-term that would be a win-win for everyone. Just my 2 cents.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us