The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fool Community Help Desk / Improve the Fool

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/gtgt-to-get-boards-working-on-mobile-we-really-29454665.aspx

Subject:  Re: New Fool Phone App Date:  8/3/2011  2:43 PM
Author:  DaveNeedsToRelax Number:  85713 of 88996

>> To get boards working on mobile we really would have to completely overhaul and replace the current boards software first -

Yes TMFBritcodeftw, that's the correct way to go. There are a lot of really great forum software packages that will work well "out of the box" so costs can be free, cheap, or expensive. Your choice. Price is not directly related to quality, especially when it comes to Open Source software.

Once the TMF Forums are running modern forum software, it becomes a lot easier to add modern features. For example, WordPress (free) can accept a plugin that reformat the whole website for optimal small screen viewing when it detects a mobile web browser. That "WPtouch" plug-in is free too, although there is also a $200 developer version.

I'm not saying that WordPress is the way to go for TMF forums, but as an example to show that it can be really easy to reformat a modern website for small screen phones.

And there are a number of readily available forum software packages that could be used, and robust developer support. I hear it can even be pretty easy to import zillions of messages from older forum software, so nothing of value is lost.

Modern web forum software has a lot of great features that will be appreciated. - Like email notification of replies to threads I've posted in. That makes for a much more active forum, which is part of the real goal of engagement isn't it?

Dave
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us